Thursday 2 June 2011

Favourite Childhood Toy

Last night I was putting my 5 year old daughter "E" to bed. She had a million stuffies on her bed and she insisted she needed them all to sleep.

"Really, all of them?" I asked her.

"Yes. All of them. But I specially need my favourites: Meow, Soft Rainbow, and Falissa," she said. "E" then proceeded to pull out of the pile a baby tiger, a rainbow coloured teddy bear, and her very favourite, a cheetah that moves it's head, growls, and has eyes that light up.
"And I have to hold them like this." She lined them up next to her, wrapped her little arm around them and gave them each a great big kiss. "I love them so much!"

It was so sweet to see. She snuggled and cuddled her stuffies and made soft sighs of comfort and joy.

"Mom, how did you sleep with Baby Tara?" she then asked me. Baby Tara was my favourite doll when I was younger.  I remember loving her so much that I could not sleep without her, just as "E" can not sleep without her ginormous pile of toys. I enjoyed Baby Tara so much that I kept her all these years, and have recently given her to my daughter. True, she is a little worn, has painted lips and fingernails, and has dirt in creases that I have never been able to get out, but she has her original clothes and is pretty much in tact.

I dug Baby Tara out of the pile of stuffies, laid down next to "E" and showed her how I used to sleep with my favourtie doll. As I pulled Baby Tara close against my chest in a familiar spot underneath my chin I was surprised; I felt a sudden surge of comfort and happiness. I had forgotten how it felt to hold my doll close to me and I understood my daughter a little better. I understood (or rather remembered) her need to have all her favourtie toys close to her. It was such a warm feeling and I was so happy that I could share that with her.

My Baby Tara
A Playmates (copyright) doll from the 80's

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet post!!! My duaughter loves to sleep with all her dolls around her too! Thanks great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I found this post on accident. Baby Tara, or Nina was what I called her was my favorite toy in the world. I took her everywhere. I slept with her every night. My little girl just turned 15 months and I pulled out my old Nina doll. I cleaned her, dressed her, put her on a little hat and put her in Hailey's baby bed.

    When I saw her box in the attic, I said, I'm coming Nina. It was so idk. Strange in a good way. I was surprised to see this post. Lol - how sweet.

    ReplyDelete