Saturday 2 April 2011

My Big VCR

This morning I dug out the old dusty VCR and hooked it up to the TV in order to make use of my old Yoga VHSs. I was surprised it still worked. It got packed away last time we moved and never got brought out again. No need for it really - we love our Blu-rays so much.

My 5 year old daughter "E" said, "What's that?" Pointing to my yoga tape.
"It's a VHS," I said.
"What's a VHS?"
Really? Does she really not know what a VHS is? Am I that old?
"It's a movie," I replied.
"That doesn't look like a movie. How do we play it?"
"In this machine. It's called a VCR."
"It's big."

Yes, it is big. Too big for the side shelf on the TV stand, in fact. It's now perched precariously on the bottom shelf, half of it hanging off the edge. I had no other place to put it.

I was surpised at the lack of picture quality when I got my yoga tape going. Compared to my usual hi-def quality experience of blu-rays, the VHS was garbage. How did we stand watching these? My kids didn't seem to mind though, especially after finding some old kid tapes to watch. Right now they are engrossed in The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, and loving it - poor quality and all. At least the kids are happy. But for me, I think I'll stick to the blu-rays.

3 comments:

  1. It is pretty amazing how far our home movie viewing experience has come in so short a time. I was shocked the first (and only, really) time I saw blu-ray. Until then I always thought, "What's the big deal?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am one of your newest fans from Bloggy Moms.

    http://www.ourbananamoments.com

    http://www.facebook.com/ourbananamoments

    Be sure to vote on April's Banana of the Month @ http://tiny.cc/hot_bananas

    Marsha

    Wait until you watch something blu-ray 3-d at home. After that everything else will be bland!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The girls love the selection of VHS at Grandma's. They were really puzzled at why the "movies" were so big and B couldn't figure out how to put it in.

    ReplyDelete