Thursday 28 April 2011

My Blankie

My 23 month old son "G" has recently been really attached to his blanket. He calls it his blankie and wants to take it everywhere with him. He sneaks it outside in the mud and it gets filthy and then he gets mad when I bring it inside. This all started a few months ago when "G" got sick. He just wanted to cuddle and have the comfort of his blanket and soother. Before he would just have those at nap and bed time, but now he wants them all the time.

This morning, when "G" was distracted, I snuck his blankie downstairs into the wash. I forgot about the load of laundry until after we were finished eating lunch and then hurried downstairs to put the wet laundry in the dryer. Soon after, "G" started asking for his blankie. I told him it was in the dryer and he could have it when it was all done. He started getting upset, but then calmed down a few minutes later. All of a sudden, there he was standing next to me showing me his blankie. "Blankie Momma," he says. "G" had gone downstairs, opened the dryer, and pulled out his wet blanket. He was so proud that he had figured out how to get his blankie all by himself.

I felt like a monster taking it away from him to put it back in the dryer. I explained to him that it was wet and wasn't finished in the dryer yet. He was furious - in fact he still hasn't calmed down yet and it has been a good ten minutes. Hopefully he'll calm down soon and have a nap, blankie or no blankie.... I can hope right?

No comments:

Post a Comment