Wednesday 20 April 2011

Yes, It's On Fire!

 Why is it that when there is some kind of disaster people are drawn to it, like a moth to a flame? They gather round and try to see as many of the gory details that they can. When there is a car accident, traffic always slows down to a crawl - sure, it's partially for safety, but really people just want to get a good look.

This morning, I was running some errands. I dropped my daughter off at school, returned a rental movie, and went to an appointment. On my way to my last stop before going home I passed the movie store again. There were fire trucks, police cars, sirens, crowds of people watching, and thick black smoke coming from the top of the building. Sadly, my first thought was, "I hope they don't charge me late fees because of this."

There were so many people milling about! Didn`t they have jobs or things to do? Why stay so long to watch the fire?

I got out of the car a little ways away from the roadblock and my son "G" was so excited to see firemen and firetrucks, so we stopped to watch. I admit, it was a little exciting. There was a fireman way ontop of the ladder shooting water down into the building, a few firemen crouching in the doorway shooting water inside. There were even flames exploding periodically out of the roof. I had never seen a fire like this before. It was mesmorizing. I now understood why so many people were standing there just watching.


But, I had things to do, so I left for my last stop. "G" was very upset. He wanted to stay and watch the firemen, and I had a heck of a time getting him back into his carseat. He only calmed down when I told him he could watch the little video I shot of the firemen with my iPhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment