Monday 16 May 2011

Geocaching

One of my new favourtie hobbies is geocaching. The official geocaching website says, "Geocaching is a real-world outdoor treasure hunting game. Players try to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, using GPS-enabled devices and then share their experiences online."

Basically, to find a cache (or treasure) you log on to the website or application (I use it on my iPhone) and use a GPS to find the treasure. It gives you a map, a compass, and clues. It is really fun. My daughter E really loves it. Some caches are small and only have a paper and pencil to sign your name, but others are large enough to hold little treasures. When you find one of these, you can take a treasure as long as you leave something of equal or greater value in return. Last time I left a bracelet and my daughter took some stickers.

What`s neat about geocaching is that you can find them almost anywhere in the world. There are tonnes in the area I live and we are still finding them all. My mother-in-law (who introduced me to geocaching) found one when on holiday in Hawaii. She was hiking up a volcano and a geocache was hidden along the trail.

Want a new and fun outdoor activity with your children, or friends, or even by your self? Then give geocaching a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment