Wednesday 16 March 2011

Bald Eagle

Today driving home from out of town I saw a bald eagle. I was caught off guard to see the stately bird sitting on an 8 foot high snow bank on the side of the highway. I started to slow down and said to my daughter in the back seat, "Look quick! A bald eagle!"

We passed it and she didn't see it. I was very tempted to slow down and pull over, or even do a u-turn and go back and take some pictures with my phone. Then I thought that maybe I shouldn't pull over because there is high possibility of getting stuck on the side of the road. That snow just pulls you in, and then what would I do? I'd be stuck in the middle of farm country, in the snow, with the kids. So I decided to keep going. I felt like a bad mother depriving my very curious five year old of the opportunity to see the majestic bird. All this passed through my mind in a second.

Then "E" shouted, "I see it! I see it!" She had turned around and was looking out the back window. She was so happy that she saw the eagle. Then she said, "Mom, why is it bald?"

I didn't feel as bad as a mother then. At least she saw it from a distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment