Saturday 12 March 2011

Hiding

Little kids find the funniest hiding places. My daughter "E" loves to play hide-and-seek. She can fit into the tiniest places, that we don't even think to look there because it doesn't look like she should fit, like in a cupboard or on the bottom shelf in her closet. Playing hide-and-seek with her (and losing) reminded me of another time she hid.
When "E" was around 19 or 20 months old, one day I heard some muffled yelling coming from her bedroom. I went in to investigate, but I couldn't see her in there and everything looked normal. I heard her call out again - it was coming from the dresser. I pulled open the bottom drawer of her dresser and there she was laying down, all scrunched up in the drawer. She had emptied out the contents of the drawer, climbed in, layed down, and somehow closed the drawer on herself. I wish I had a picture, it was so funny.
What goes through a little toddler's mind to make them want to do that. "Hmmm... I wonder if I could fit in that drawer. No one will ever find me there!"
No wonder I never win at hide-and-seek.

2 comments:

  1. OH MY GOODNESS! You reminded me of when I did that one time when I was about 2 years old. I remember thinking, "I want to hide in this drawer." So I emptied out all the clothes, climbed in and tried to close the drawer. Unfortunately, back when I was young, the drawers didn't slide as nicely as they do now, so I couldn't close myself in it. My dad then came in and found me trying to do this and took a picture. So I have this moment on display in my baby photo album. Why we children want to hide in drawers? I have no idea. But at the time, we thought it was a good idea. Haha. :)

    P.S. Loving your new blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that story of "E". Really, I'm with ya, what are they thinking? But really... anytime we knew what babies were thinking would be so convenient, wouldn't it? They should invent a collar for children like the ones they have on the dogs in the movie "UP". It would really help us out!

    ReplyDelete