Wednesday 9 March 2011

Kitchen Floor

There’s always food on my kitchen floor. Bread crumbs, milk, gold fish crackers, dried up pieces of cucumber, you name it. No matter how many times I sweep, vacuum, or wash that floor, five minutes later there’s food on it. Again. I feel like I sweep a hundred times a day. I almost don’t want to even clean it anymore. One of the reasons I love wearing slippers (besides having always cold feet) is that when I step on crumbs, or spills on the floor, I don’t feel it as much.
My mom comes from a large family of 12 kids. I remember her saying, “Your dad was the first boy I brought home that didn’t mind having spaghetti on his socks.” I can’t imagine what my kitchen floor would look like if I had twelve kids. It’s bad enough with two. Maybe it’s just me. Maybe I shouldn’t wear my slippers anymore, then I would have more incentive to keep the floor clean. No, my feet would be too cold.

2 comments:

  1. I do have a very effective solution to the problem of food on the kitchen floor: a dog. If you get a dog, don't overfeed it and you will never have to deal with another crumb again. We had no idea how dirty a kitchen floor could get until our dog was gone. Now we have to sweep the floor 5X as often. Having a dog was like having a little furry assistant to do the in-between cleanings. But then, there are some drawbacks to having a dog around: muddy footprints, drooling, shedding. "Young Mother's Auntie"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curious.. how often do people really clean their floors? all you do is walk on it, we have tables and chairs for a reason... not sure it's a priority on my cleaning list.

    ReplyDelete