Friday 25 March 2011

Engrossing Fiction

I love to read. I read all kinds of books, but reading novels is an escape for me. Delving into another world, another time, another person's life (albeit fictional) is such rewarding 'me' time.

When I find an especially intruiging story I'm afraid that my husband and children suffer a little. I become involved in the story and don't want to put it down. I am secretly annoyed at meal times when I have to put my book away and make an effort at conversation with my husband, or help my children with their meal. Things get ignored like housework, dishes, and meal preparation. The kids run wild or watch tv, and all along I am engrossed in a fascinating tale. For example, this morning, I turned on the tv for my kids and returned to my room fully engrossed in "North and South," by Elizabeth Gaskell. I just had to finish it! I hadn't had a book like that since the third enstallment of the Hunger Games trilogy came out ("Mockingjay" by Suzanne Collins).

Now my kids feel fully ignored, and I am reaping the consequences: grumpiness and a messy house. Now I need to find a new novel to engross me. Any suggestions? What new novel will make me ignore my motherly duties?

If you are looking for some good reviews on interesting new books, check out this website:
The Well-Read Wife. It's a lot of fun. I might even check out the new Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dreadfully Ever After. I so enjoyed the first one.

No comments:

Post a Comment