Monday 28 March 2011

I love Jane Austen

I absolutley love Jane Austen. I get shivers when Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy finally put aside their pride and prejudices and love eachother whole-heartedly. There's a little thrill when Emma realizes that Mr. Knightley loves her, or when Elinor realizes Mr. Ferras is not married and is free to love her openly. I love the romance, the humour, the suspense of "will it work out", even though I know it always will. And then there is the perfect ending. The girl gets the boy she loves, they marry and live happily ever after. Really it's every girls dream. You may not admit it, but yes, you dreamed of finding the perfect man and living happily ever after! I sure did. No wonder the Disney princesses are so popular. They also get their happily ever after.

I could sit down and watch BBC's version of Pride and Prejudice over and over again. I love finding other women who share my passion for Miss Austen and then having a P&P party. My husband thinks I'm silly. "Why do you like these stories?" he says. "They are all the same. It's just about girls who want to get married." True, but it's not what they want, it's how they get there. I'm not going to apologize for my love of a beautiful romantic story. It makes me feel so happy inside, and when I want some cheering up I put in an Austen movie, and I always feel better.

3 comments:

  1. I found you on Bloggy Moms and was intriuied by your description of your blog. I too like the romantic notion of finding true love and living happily ever-after. At 45 I know better in some ways, but I do belive in romantic love, and have gotten to experince it with my husband. Not all day everyday, but enough to know that there is a happily ever-after, it is just deeper. The things I once thought important, are not, the things I thought would destroy me did not. I look foward to reading more of you! I'm a happy new follower.

    Kathy
    www.mydishwasherspossessed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right that they are just great movies! Who wouldn't like that romance?
    Popped over from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane Austen novels are a little more complex than just plain Romance. There's always a ton of conflict, family strife, a "bad boy", peer pressure, you name it. I love Austen movies as well. They make me smile. :)

    DP
    Hip Chick's Guide to PMS, Pregnancy, and Babies

    ReplyDelete