Friday 11 March 2011

Making Bread

My mom bought a new Bosch so she gave me her old one. Today I took it out for the first time to make some yummy homemade bread. I’ve never used a Bosch before and it came with no instructions (hand-me-downs rarely do), but I’ve seen my mother use it, and really it’s just a big mixer, what could be so hard?
I found a recipe for whole wheat bread and got to work. I put all the ingredients in the bowl and left it to mix for 8 minutes, following the recipe. I noticed that the Bosch was kind of shaking as it mixed, but it looked within reasonable shaking limits. I left the dough to mix and went about the kitchen doing other stuff. Suddenly I heard a huge crash. I turned around and there was the Bosch, unplugged, upside down, on the floor. I didn’t leave the mixer anywhere near the edge of the counter so it couldn’t have just fallen off.
Apparently, the mixer was shaking so hard, that it travelled all the way to the edge of the counter where it teetered and finally relinquishing to gravity it toppled to the floor. I picked it up and nothing looked broken, the dough looked all right so I plugged it back in and continued mixing (the eight minutes wasn’t up yet), but this time I turned the knob to speed 1 instead of speed 2. It wasn’t shaking so much then. How was I supposed to know that speed 2 would send the Bosch crashing to the floor? There were no instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment